Wednesday, October 5, 2016

Cross Country Team - Catch 'em if you can!

This year our cross country teams are being coached by Abby Bartz, Christina Callies, and Cathy Walz. You still have one opportunity to watch these young athletes challenge themselves to achieve their personal best time. Their last meet is the Waukesha Invite (Minooka Park)  - Wednesday, October 12 at 4:25 p.m. Go Pirates! (posted by Ms. KBD)


"Just Breathe" by Izzy Y.

Authors Note:  This short poem is my story about running cross country at Grant Park, where lake Michigan is right beside the course in the cool woods. This is one of my favorite courses, because it is so picturesque and the lake’s spray keeps you refreshed.

Left, right, left, right
My feet fall softly in front of each other
In, out, in, out
I breathe deeply through my nose

Leaves drift around me
As dirt loosens under my tired feet
In the distance I can hear waves
And Lake Michigan’s wind sweeps up it’s spray onto my face

Nature outlines my path
But it is beginning to blur as I grow weary
Mostly green with hints of red and yellow
Is the bleary picture that I see

I beg to stop, but I won’t
Controlled stubbornness is the only thing that drives me forward
Aside from my aching feet
I must keep on moving

I see a girl ahead
Our athletic shirts matchup
I pick up the pace
And she does too, pitter pat pitter pat

It’s me, I exhale
And she begins to slow down
Together we run through the trees
As we here cheers ringing in the outskirts of the woods

I continue running
And I see a mass of people ahead of me
I go a little faster now
The terrain is beginning level and only about 100 meters in front of me is the finish line

Faster and faster I run
Rapidly picking up speed as I zoom past the crowds
Closer and closer the finish comes
And I fly to the end and with nothing left...

I breathe
Just breathe.

(posted by Mrs. Whelan) 

24 comments:

  1. I like how much detail you put in the poem. Mentioning the dirt and everything.

    ReplyDelete
  2. THAT'S SOOOOOOO BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This writing shows the truth about running from somebody who actually runs which makes the story more interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That was amazing writing! At the end when it started getting faster, and faster I actually started reading it faster. It really just made me feel like I was running there as well, because when I run I am feeling those same things. Even though it was a poem I felt like it was telling a story. Really nice job.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think that this is a very good poem that sums up a race in cross country. You did a good job adding all the elements of a race into a poem, and my favorite line was, "I be to stop, but I won't" because you really do sometimes feel like you can't go on, but you also can't stop at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think that this is a very good poem that sums up a race in cross country. You did a good job adding all the elements of a race into a poem, and my favorite line was, "I be to stop, but I won't" because you really do sometimes feel like you can't go on, but you also can't stop at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved how you described how you persevere through running in cross country in Grant Park so that you can finish your running.I also like how you were explaining detail of your surroundings and what you were thinking as you were running or jogging.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This writing is truly beautiful, excellent job!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is a great piece! I felt very submersed into the story you told through this poem. I can't believe that you figured out how to put those meaningful feelings into words. Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is a really good poem, you did a good job adding how you are feeling throughout the whole poem. My favorite line was "I beg to stop but I won't because that is exactly what I think when I am running the mile in gym class when my whole body aches but I keep going.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love this piece, it really made me feel like I was there

    ReplyDelete
  12. I enjoyed this poem because I am on the cross country team and I participated in the meet. I also agree that grant park is one of my favorite courses because it is a beautiful place to run.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This poem is really descriptive and has a lot of inspirational lines like "I beg to stop but I won't."

    ReplyDelete
  14. I like how the poem is really deep and wasn't just talking bout the topic. You put detail in the poem and I think the poem was amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I really liked all of the detail in the poem. It was a really deep and strong piece of writing.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I felt like I was there, watching what was happening and hearing your thoughts. It was really good and detailed piece

    ReplyDelete
  17. I felt like I was there, watching what was happening and hearing your thoughts. It was really good and detailed piece

    ReplyDelete
  18. I really enjoyed the writing style of the piece, it was almost like I was there running with you. What a lovely detailed piece!

    ReplyDelete
  19. WOW! This piece was phenomenal! I really liked how you show courage and perseverance throughout the whole writing piece. In addition, I really felt like I was in your position running when you said "...as I zoom past the crowds." Great Job Izzy, and I look forward to reading all your other writing pieces!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I loved that poem, you went really in depth with your detail, I could picture it in my mind. I could never write like that. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love the title, you can just tell the story is going to be relatable and well described. Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is awesome, Izzy! Your imagery painted a perfect picture of racing at Grant Park. My favorite line is this one: "Controlled stubbornness is the only thing that drives me forward." Your word choice is spot on. The determination I see on your face when you are racing? Controlled stubbornness. Perfect. Must also be what got you through the Mukwonago race with only one shoe. :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. I loved how this really made me feel like I was in the same moment this writing took place in. Very well written! Great job!

    ReplyDelete

After your comment id reviewed by the blog moderators, all appropriate feedback will be posted .

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...