Wednesday, May 18, 2016

Gotcha Day

Marima N. talked to the social studies class on her past and her home country in honor of her “Gotcha Day”. 

"May 5th is the day my family celebrates when I arrived in America and joined the Nangle family. I was born in Harper, Africa. There was a twelve-year civil war around the place I was born. It was a Civil War between Native Africans (like myself) and those who were brought to Africa from slavery in other countries. This Civil War set many places in the west part of Africa back 100 years in the time of only twelve years! When I was two years old, the war finally ended. When I was five, I was flown out of my home in a United Nation helicopter all the way to Monrovia, the capital of Liberia. Monrovia looked horrible when I was staying there because it was a big target for the war during that time. I just really love being able to share a little about my past and country." (posted by Mrs. Giese)

1 comment:

  1. May 5th sounds like such a great day to celebrate! I really like how Marima talked about her background to her class so they could learn a little more about her! This piece really made me think, what if there was a war in the US? I can't imagine living in someplace like that, but I'm glad that Marima was able to come to the US and live here in Pewaukee.

    ReplyDelete

After your comment id reviewed by the blog moderators, all appropriate feedback will be posted .

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...